Why You Should Hire a Home Improvement Professional
If you’ve decided that it’s time to upgrade your New England home, you might be tempted by the opportunity to save money by doing the project yourself. It’s a good idea on paper, but depending on the project, it could be a recipe for disaster. Often, a do-it-yourself home renovation project will end up costing more because you need to hire a professional to correct the errors you made. So, before you dive in on your DIY remodeling project, consider these five important reasons why it’s a good idea to partner with a professional contractor:
1. Time & Money Savings
If you need to make sure that your project stays within a set budget, hiring an experienced company and signing a contract that contains exact dollar figures will ensure that the work is completed for the price you agreed upon. A contractor crew will also be able to complete your project in a much more timely fashion than you would while working alone. This gives you the use of your home back much faster.
No matter how extensive your home improvement knowledge is, you’re likely not on the same level as professionals who work on homes year in and year out. Licensed home improvement contractors are also up to speed on the latest technology and product advancements, which can have a positive impact on your renovation.
3. Project Management
The importance of having an experienced project manager increases with the intricacy that your project requires. A professional project manager will be able to schedule material deliveries, work assignments, inspections, etc. to ensure that your project timeline remains intact. You’ll stay informed throughout, and you’ll be able to ask the project manager to intervene if you’re not happy with something.
4. Proper Permitting
A professional home renovation company will have regular interaction with the local permitting authorities and will be able to handle the process quickly and properly so your project isn’t unexpectedly delayed.
5. Warranty Protection
Many of today’s home improvement companies are certified for the products they install, so they’re able to provide long-term workmanship warranties in addition to any manufacturer product warranties. In some cases, a manufacturer won’t stand behind a product if it wasn’t installed by accredited professionals.
Home Renovation Contractor Checklist
If you’ve thought better of a DIY project and decided to entrust your home renovation to experienced professionals, you still have to select the right company for the job. Here are some steps you can follow to ensure that you partner with the right contractor to meet your needs:
- Obtain multiple bids – Provide an itemized list of the work you need done and obtain multiple bids. If an estimate is exceptionally high or low, be sure to ask why. Also, make sure that all material costs are included in the estimate.
- Make sure they’re properly licensed and insured – If you want to avoid being scammed or sued, be sure to ask the contractor for licensing and insurance credentials during the interview process.
- Check reviews and references – One of the best ways to learn about a home improvement company is to read online reviews. Even if there are negative comments, you should be able to see if the company resolved the issues promptly. Don’t be afraid to ask for the phone number of a homeowner who recently hired the company.
- Meet face to face – If your project is large and involved, you’ll want to meet with the contractor and your day-to-day point of contact to ensure that you’re comfortable working with them.
- Discuss scheduling – You might find a contractor you like, but they might be so busy that they can’t start for several weeks or longer. Make sure to establish a firm project schedule before settling on a contractor.
Partner With a Company You Can Trust
If experience and reputation are two of the factors that matter most to you, you can’t go wrong when you partner with NEWPRO. We’ve been exceeding the expectations of New England homeowners since 1945, offering a wide array of services, including:
- Window replacement
- Exterior door replacement
- Bathroom remodeling
- Siding installation
- Roof replacement
We’ve become the go-to choice of homeowners throughout the region by always putting their satisfaction first, and we’ve proudly maintained an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau for decades. We also stand behind our products and installations with ironclad warranty protection, and our work is completed by highly trained technicians who know how to do the job right the first time.
If you’re considering a home renovation project and would like to learn more about our products and services, contact NEWPRO today. We’ll be happy to send a product specialist to your New England home to answer your questions, provide an estimate, and tell you about the financing options that are available to qualified applicants.