What Are the Best Wind-Resistant Roofing Materials?
Strong winds are fairly common in New England, so your home’s roof needs to be durable enough to remain intact when being battered by intense gusts.
For this reason, you might be wondering which roofing materials are best for your home in terms of wind resistance. Below, we examine some of the most popular residential roofing options and help determine which ones will help you avoid wind damage to your roof.
- Metal Roofing: Metal is often a consideration for high winds, but the cost of metal roofs can be prohibitive for homeowners on a budget. Yes, a metal roof is a contender in terms of durability and lifespan, but you’ll likely be paying for a metal roof for many years.
- Tile Roofs: Tile roofs are extremely heavy, which helps them stay intact during strong winds. However, they can be especially vulnerable to damage from wind-blown debris.
- Slate Roofs: Slate roofing is exceptionally heavy, to the point that the roof deck will require extra reinforcement prior to installation. While a slate roof is a great option in strong winds, it is also prohibitively expensive and requires specialized installation skills that many roofing contractors don’t possess.
- Asphalt Shingles: No other roofing material offers such an attractive combination of affordability, durability, and curb appeal. Of course, in terms of wind-resistant shingles, you get what you pay for.
Why are Asphalt Shingles the best for residential roofing?
There’s a good reason why close to 90% of residential roofing systems feature asphalt shingles. Of course, in terms of wind-resistant shingles, you get what you pay for. Many standard asphalt shingles have a wind rating for speeds up to 80 miles per hour, while premium architectural shingles can handle winds up to 110 miles per hour.
Look to NEWPRO for Your Roofing Needs
At NEWPRO, we install the Max-Protect Roofing System, which stands up to severe winds and the other weather conditions that New England homeowners regularly experience.
Featuring heavy-duty shingles with outstanding wind-resistance ratings, our roofing system outperforms those being offered by our competitors. All NEWPRO roofs + GAF shingles feature StainGuard, WindProven protection, and LayerLock Technology.
Other key features of our high-performance shingle from GAF:
- Great Value: Architecturally stylish but practically priced — with a Lifetime Limited Warranty1
- Dimensional Look: Features GAF proprietary color blends and enhanced shadow effect for a genuine wood-shake look
- Stays In Place: Our legendary Dura Grip™ sealant pairs with the smooth microgranule surface of the StrikeZone™ nailing area for fast tack. Then, an asphalt-to asphalt monolithic bond cures for durability, strength, and exceptional wind uplift performance
- Highest Roofing Fire Rating: UL Class A, Listed to ANSI/UL 790
When you partner with NEWPRO, you partner with the toughest shingle on the market – GAF shingles.
Since 1945, NEWPRO has been providing long-lasting and affordable home renovation solutions from Master Elite Certified craftsmen while achieving the highest degree of customer satisfaction. Through the years, we have earned a number of awards for the excellence of our work and the level of our customer care, and we want to demonstrate those qualities to you.
- Call us today at 855-982-9949 or contact us now to request your FREE, no-obligation design consultation and quote.